Inform and Inspire

Welcome to Upstate Bouldering, designed around bouldering in the Upstate region of South Carolina. This website is intended to inform the reader of local spots in SC, Western NC and Northeast GA, as well as a blog of my experiences climbing at these great spots. I hope everyone learns of a new place to climb or is inspired to climb somewhere close to them. If you have any comments, please send me an e-mail.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Climbing Back Home

It was good to touch familiar rock, back in the usual stomping grounds. I havent posted much since we got home because I havent really been on the net much. I have the rest of the summer off of work, and have to go back August 12...so my goal has been to climb, paddle and bike as much as possible. I took a trip to Atlanta, to visit a friend, and ended up climbing at Boat Rock for a couple of days. I climbed Sleazy Slab finally, a V3 right beside the super classic Easy Crack. I was also fortunate to climb a couple of days at the North Side boulders of Looking Glass. Now is definitely the time to hit these boulders...nice temps, good shade and rarely a soul in sight. I also had a chance to climb at Granite City and do a little more exploring for new routes. In between all of this, I had a chance to climb on lake Keowee and Jocassee while I was kayaking. The changing water levels give up different climbs everytime I visit. I also had a chance to visit a quick upstate spot, the Big Eastatoe Bouldering wall, a spot I havent blogged about yet, but plan on very soon. Obviously, evident by chalk on the wall, there have been other people climbing at this little spot also. I was a little surprised, I have never seen any other chalk on this wall in the 15-20 years or so I've been bouldering on it.

My wife has planned a great trip to Boone for the last weekend in August...the Music on the Mountaintop festival on Saturday and bouldering on Friday and Sunday. My birthday is in a couple of weeks and this is the best present I could of asked for...climbing and good music! My honeymoon was absolutely incredible, and the climbing was once in a lifetime, but it is so nice to be back home, climbing in familiar territory! After seeing the quality in some of the European areas, I can honestly say that around here, we are blessed by good rock with world class routes.

No comments:

Post a Comment