Inform and Inspire

Welcome to Upstate Bouldering, designed around bouldering in the Upstate region of South Carolina. This website is intended to inform the reader of local spots in SC, Western NC and Northeast GA, as well as a blog of my experiences climbing at these great spots. I hope everyone learns of a new place to climb or is inspired to climb somewhere close to them. If you have any comments, please send me an e-mail.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Little Eastatoee This Week





I had a couple of chances to get out to Little Eastatoee, over the last week or so, and was able to add a few new climbs to the area. During the first visit, my wife was able to FA a new V0 and Vb that worked her crimp strength and balance. I told her she needed to come up with some girly names for the routes and she came up with some of the best route names ever...Sunshine Cupcake and Unicorn Daydream! That same session, George worked Two-Face V3 to an almost send, even though it was a little wet in places. Eventually, Adam showed up and we all headed down the trail to Rhodorete. Since he had recently injured some tendons and couldn't join in, Adam took some shots of George and I on Rhodorete V4/5 (which I posted above). We didnt put a send on Rhodorete, but it was fun to work the route.

Yesterday, I felt absolutely awful from a cold, I sat around all day and eventually got cabin fever and needed to get some fresh air. I thought I'd just take a little hike around Little Eastatoee and look for new routes for about 30 minutes, but while I was there, I had to check on my current project, Yeti Areti V4. I still hadn't been able to get on the route while it was completely dry, and as luck would have it, it was drier and cleaner than ever. I still felt terrible from the cold, but I couldn't resist at least 1 attempt. After almost sending on the first and second attempts, I was finally able to get the FA of the Yeti...it just took some drier conditions and a better thought out sequence to finish it up. Yeti is a great route, maybe not as world class as I first thought, but a good fun send none-the-less. Thanks again to Adam for the pictures of Rhodorete!

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to crush Unicorn Daydream! You should also do a Rainbow Brite Bulge or something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed 1 more name for a project on the same boulder...Rainbow Brite it is:) Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete