Inform and Inspire

Welcome to Upstate Bouldering, designed around bouldering in the Upstate region of South Carolina. This website is intended to inform the reader of local spots in SC, Western NC and Northeast GA, as well as a blog of my experiences climbing at these great spots. I hope everyone learns of a new place to climb or is inspired to climb somewhere close to them. If you have any comments, please send me an e-mail.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Rumbling Bald is open this week!

Good News! From the sound of last weeks park service announcement, it seemed like they were about to close for the bulk of the parking lot renovation...but a new announcement today leaves the Bald open until Sunday, March 22nd.

With rain and cooler temps, the rocks are cleaned and primed for optimal stickiness! I might join J-Rock at the Bald on Wednesday, to try to tick off a few routes I've been working on...hopefully I can put the pieces together to Morning Star for my first V7. I was planning on camping and doing some trad climbing at the South Face of Looking Glass on Friday, but with this news, I might try and boulder at Rumbling on Friday and then hit Pisgah on Saturday and Sunday, instead, to rope up and boulder.

One of the next "local spots" will be one of the boulder areas near Looking Glass...probably the North Side Boulders or Nowhere Boulders and keep the other good Pisgah spots for later. Granite City is also coming soon, but I tend to hit that up closer to summer time, so I'll wait til then to post it. Also, summer brings "deep water soloing", so I'll mention a few spots on the local lakes that are perfect for climbing up and jumping off. Look for the new Pisgah local spot later this week.

2 comments:

  1. Are you aware of any businesses that carry the bouldering guide for RB in Greenville? I'm still fairly new to the sport (V0-V4 @ Climb at Blue Ridge) and would like to try some outdoor routes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sunrift Adventures in Travelers Rest has a few copies. You can also order it online from the Rumbling Bald blogspot link. Well worth the $25 or so.

    ReplyDelete