Inform and Inspire

Welcome to Upstate Bouldering, designed around bouldering in the Upstate region of South Carolina. This website is intended to inform the reader of local spots in SC, Western NC and Northeast GA, as well as a blog of my experiences climbing at these great spots. I hope everyone learns of a new place to climb or is inspired to climb somewhere close to them. If you have any comments, please send me an e-mail.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

FONTAINEBLEAU!!!



I finally made it to mecca! We arrived at Maisonbleau (www.maisonbleau.com), our gite for the week, this afternoon about 4:30. The country side is beautiful and, at first, makes you wonder where all the bouldering is. Maisonbleau is a great place near Buthiers, that offers cheap, but incredibly nice, places to stay only 2 km from some of the best climbing in the forest. The gite has plenty of room, a full kitchen, and best of all, a collection of climbing DVDs to watch after your day of climbing. They also sell the best guidebooks to the area, as well as, chalk, brushes, DVDs, and their own sweet little crashpad. If you are planning a trip to Font, I'd definitely check them out! We decided to run out and catch half of a circuit before dark and weren't disappointed. We did part of the orange circuit at Massif L'i ("No Hands" in the Jingo Wobbly guidebook) to get used to the climbing here. The problems were all in the V0-V2 range, but were challenging enough to make you work for a couple of them. Problem 21 was the hardest on the circuit, at 4a+, and threw me off a couple of times before I figured it out. We plan on heading to L'Elephant tomorrow and climbing on the boulder that has fascinated me for so long. L'Elephant might just be the boulder that got me hot and heavy into bouldering, after one of my good friends gave me a big picture of it as a house warming gift. It sits above my mantle and has been a dream of mine to vist for many many years now. I'm also going to start another slideshow, tomorrow, with pictures of Font, so keep you eyes peeled, as I plan on taking tons of photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment