Inform and Inspire

Welcome to Upstate Bouldering, designed around bouldering in the Upstate region of South Carolina. This website is intended to inform the reader of local spots in SC, Western NC and Northeast GA, as well as a blog of my experiences climbing at these great spots. I hope everyone learns of a new place to climb or is inspired to climb somewhere close to them. If you have any comments, please send me an e-mail.

Friday, June 5, 2009

"It's a Rainy day...a Real Wet One"







Good Keller song! Always comes to mind when the rain is coming down. I was planning on heading to the coast near Cascais and bouldering today, but before I could get in the train, it started pouring...so I backed off for a couple of days. It's incredible how slippery all these cobblestones in the city get when they're wet!

Went to Sintra and found more boulders than imaginable...but they were so mossed over and featureless, that I only got about 10-15 routes in. I also got about 10-15 "buildering" routes in on the ancient walls of the Moorish Castle. If I had all the time in the world to develop this area and scrub some moss away, it would be a real bouldering paradise. I'm still having problems getting the pictures on the web, but hopefully I can get them up this weekend. Sintra is one place that has stuck out in my mind ever since the last time I was in Portugal, and I was glad to get back and feel the incredible energy of the area.

As mentioned, we're heading back to the coast this weekend and should have more pictures from a different bouldering spot called Farol da Guia. Farol da Guia is a limestone seaside cliff that's mainly a sport climbing area, but it has a couple of bouldering sectors with a bunch of 6a and above routes. Should be fun and we might have sad enough eyes to sucker one of the locals into letting us borrow a harness and get a tow up a couple of sport lines:)

No comments:

Post a Comment