Inform and Inspire

Welcome to Upstate Bouldering, designed around bouldering in the Upstate region of South Carolina. This website is intended to inform the reader of local spots in SC, Western NC and Northeast GA, as well as a blog of my experiences climbing at these great spots. I hope everyone learns of a new place to climb or is inspired to climb somewhere close to them. If you have any comments, please send me an e-mail.

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

February Road Trips

Heading out of town a couple of times this month...

Next weekend we are heading down towards Augusta, GA for my brothers B-day. While there, we plan on checking out some boulders in the Clarks Hill area and also riding at some of the best mtn bike trails in SC, FATS. If you bike and havent ridden FATS...what are you waiting for? Great trails with plenty of options to keep you busy for 5 miles or an all day 30 miler. If you have info about boulders in this area, drop a comment and let me know.

I'm also planning on climbing in the Chalky Dreams comp, at Moss Rock, in Birmingham, AL on Feb 21st. Hopefully, the weather will be good for the whole weekend and I can climb at Horse Pens 40 on Friday and Boat Rock on the way home on Sunday. Dont plan on competing hard, just nice to get together with like minded folks and pull down. Never been to HP40 or Moss Rock, so this will be a great trip to fresh rock for me. Competed at Boat Rock last month and got to see so much more of the boulderfield than I ever knew existed. Great stuff out in Wood's Hill and the Glove I want to get back on. If anyone else, from the Upstate or WNC, is planning on climbing in the comp or being down that way between Feb 20-22, let me know...we'll get together and celebrate climbing a few states away.

2 comments:

  1. There is a (very) little boulder field on Lost Wilderness rd, maybe a minute from the FATS trailhead.

    From FATS, drive towards Furys Ferry rd. At Furys Ferry, take a right and very soon on the right you'll see Lost Wilderness rd. Turn onto it and then pull off the road on the right after maybe 50-100 yds. In the woods and down the hill is the confluence of a couple stream beds. Neither of the obvious lines on the tall stacked boulder have been sent. More lowball problems as you follow the streambed upstream.

    Also, are there boulders around the Big Rock or Tower trails on FATS? I've hiked a little of it but haven't seen the whole trail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only ridden the older trails...went down there a few months back to ride the new stuff but it rained all weekend. Our plan was to ride the new trails (Big Rock and Tower) this weekend, so I'll let you know if I see anything. Thanks for the heads up about the other boulders in the area...always looking for some climbing and biking close together.

    ReplyDelete