Inform and Inspire

Welcome to Upstate Bouldering, designed around bouldering in the Upstate region of South Carolina. This website is intended to inform the reader of local spots in SC, Western NC and Northeast GA, as well as a blog of my experiences climbing at these great spots. I hope everyone learns of a new place to climb or is inspired to climb somewhere close to them. If you have any comments, please send me an e-mail.

Monday, February 23, 2009

HP40/ Chalky Dreams/ Boat Rock

Had a great weekend on my Alabama Getaway. Started out Friday morning about 9:30 at Horse Pens and climbed until about 5 that afternoon. I was mainly climbing everything in the V0-V2 range, but I also onsighted Horsepower V3 and worked half the day to get Bumboy V4, which I ended up climbing 2 different ways. I also got a bunch of V2's that were super fun...I really enjoyed Moms, Turtlehead and Dope. My whole focus for the visit to HP40 was to try to climb Bumboy, and other slopey routes, and just check the place out, so I felt accomplished heading to Birmingham that night.

Woke up Saturday morning and headed to the comp. I got there a little early to check out Moss Rock and get oriented before the start. I wasn't expecting so many highballs! At the top of half the routes, you could barely make out your crashpad below the clouds...alright maybe a little exaggerated, but these routes were tall. In some states, you'd bolt this and call it sport climbing:) This place reminded me of a used and abused (some spray painted rocks) Lilly Boulders with some taller routes. I was so worn out from working so hard on Bumboy the day before, after about 5 routes, I knew I wasnt going to be in the race for a top spot, so I just started climbing more for fun. I ended up climbing The Bomb V3 ("Dog Wars" at the comp), and a slew of V1's and V2's. I had a chance to meet and cheer on a bunch of cool people from Alabama, and also some guys from Atlanta, I met at the Float the Boat comp last month. Good comp with lots of fun people and some good problems made for a good day of climbing.

Sunday I went to Boat Rock, on my way home, and sent a few classics that I had never really worked on. I sent Dream Scoop V3 first, then onsighted Sourwood Arete V3, and then onsighted Tough Guy V3. I also worked Lost Digits V3 and Watermelon/Bob's Arete V4, both of which I was almost to the send, but I was just finally worn out from the whole weekend of climbing. I always love to climb at Boat Rock and sending some classics always makes it better.

What great weekend! I kind of wore myself out the first day, but the rest of the weekend was just as rewarding. I love a good road trip, and this one had some great climbing in it. Cant wait to get back to Horse Pens for Sloperfest!

No comments:

Post a Comment